During my time at the circulation desk at the Urbana Free Library (quite possibly the best public library in the world!), I was privileged to come across a plethora of “duck” books. I’m not obsessed with ducks, I leave that to my friend Julie, but for some reason I am drawn to books with the word “duck” in the title.
SO - I have decided to start Duck Tuesday in honor of the Urbana Free Library and my friends Julie and Rachel. On Duck Tuesday, I will highlight one of the magnificent titles that includes the word “duck” or share some other exciting thing about ducks with you.
To kick it off, I have a splendid selection:
Twenty-Odd Ducks by Lynne Truss, illustrated by Bonnie Timmons. Truss is the best-selling author of Eats, Shoots & Leaves, and has a fantastic series for children as well (Eats, Shoots & Leaves and The Girl’s Like Spaghetti). This non-fiction book takes a humorous approach to punctuation (always a plus in my opinion!) and looks at what can go wrong when hyphens, parentheses, quotation marks, periods and other punctuation marks appear in the wrong place. The book is witty and fun, and the illustrations are delightful. It would certainly make grammar a little more enjoyable. It is recommended for ages 4-8, but I tend to think of age recommendations for childrens books more as guidelines. ALL ages can benefit from a fun approach to grammar! (Yes, my collection of childrens literature makes up a majority of my personal library.)
Have a great Tuesday!


No comments:
Post a Comment