I have a love/hate relationship with RSS. The love part is easy - it comes to you! Most websites now have an RSS features to them, and as Sandra pointed out, even EBSCO offers an RSS feature that can keep you up to date. They offer a journal alert, which will alert you anytime a new issue of the journal or magazine comes out and provide links to it, and a search alert, which will alert you as new information that fits your specific criteria of your search is available.
RSS can save time since you don't always have to go out and check sites for updates, they come to you in your RSS reader (as the Common Craft video points out).
HOWEVER - You still have to check the RSS reader (I use Bloglines, when I actually do use RSS). I have Bloglines set up as a widget in my igoogle homepage, but the problem is, I hardly ever check my igoogle homepage. So...I think I need a better system...
I do like my Bloglines though, because, even if it says I have a number of unread postings, I can just say "mark as read" if I don't have the time to read them! I'm working on keeping my listserv subscriptions under control at the moment, but I think after I've got a handle on that, I'll start working hard to keep up with one or two blogs via Bloglines.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You can have your RSS feeds come right into Outlook.
ReplyDeleteI agree. We can get overwhelmed with all the information that is out there. I use Google Reader in my iGoogle homepage and have 3 listservs to read in my email. I know I spend way too much time on it all so I do try to keep the blogs limited to the very best and often only look at the titles to see if I want to read the entries.
ReplyDeleteI use google reader. It's choice for reading blogs, and making sure to keep yourself away from questionable ads that are embeded the real site.
ReplyDelete